Void Angels Official Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official forums of the Void Angels, an EVE-Online Corporation.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GPU Problem?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ulric Wolfbane
Director
Director
Ulric Wolfbane

GPU Problem? Empty
PostSubject: GPU Problem?   GPU Problem? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 8:47 pm

My 8800GTX failed and was sent back to ASUS to get rebuilt or replaced under warranty.

They say that the GPU is toast and that they do not have an 8800GTX to have a like for like replacement. They are offering a 260GTX. It is obviously an improvement from what I have now after just a little tiny bit of research, but the cost differential is killing me. When I bought the 8800GTX is was near the top of the line and the 260GTX seems like a bit of a bargin deal for ASUS to pawn off on me.

Am I getting ripped or should I try and work my way into a better replacement part that is closer to what I paid for the card?

My system specs are:
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe wireless addition motherboard
AMD 64X2 dual core processor
PC Power and Cool Silencer 750 Quad

Interested in your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Director
Director
Seregon

GPU Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPU Problem?   GPU Problem? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 5:43 am

How long ago did you buy the card?

They'll only give you a replacement to the value of the card now... i.e.: if the 8800 is only worth £50 now then that's all they'll put towards a replacement.

I got the same deal when my card fried, got offered either a like-for-like, or £70... was a tad pissed, seeing as it cost me £350, and the 70 barely paid for the warrenty I bought.

I've no idea how the two cards compare, or what the cost of each is, but don't expect something of the same value as you originally paid.
Back to top Go down
Ulric Wolfbane
Director
Director
Ulric Wolfbane

GPU Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPU Problem?   GPU Problem? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Sounds like where I am going to be stuck, which might be a bad attitude to have as the 260GTX appears to be a better card benefiting from another year or two of R&D.

Found a pretty good forum series called Extreme Overclocking (http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com) that seems to show that the 260 is an improvement and to be very happy that they are not offering a like for like replacement. Anyway, I will try and negotiate for better then take what I can. Hopefully will be back to pew pew shortly after getting my system back up and running...will have to buy a new Vagabond since I will be able to fly one of those now too!
Back to top Go down
Ulric Wolfbane
Director
Director
Ulric Wolfbane

GPU Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPU Problem?   GPU Problem? Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 12:23 pm

Well, I should have a GTX280 at my house by the time I get home today! I should have it installed and ready to roam for tomorrow night!!!

Not the fastest turn around, but a lot faster than Seregon's computer pains and a pretty decent boost in performance at the same time!
Back to top Go down
Seregon
Director
Director
Seregon

GPU Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPU Problem?   GPU Problem? Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 1:56 pm

Hey, I actually beat you back this time! Razz
Back to top Go down
Ulric Wolfbane
Director
Director
Ulric Wolfbane

GPU Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPU Problem?   GPU Problem? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 10:09 am

GPU is at my house...installing today...should be able to start AFK moving ships when I get home!

Hope to be on and then start running some ops in the near future!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GPU Problem? Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPU Problem?   GPU Problem? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GPU Problem?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Void Angels Official Forums :: Public Forum :: General Discussions-
Jump to: